Friday, December 7, 2012

Birthday Burrito Blend


OK, so I've been a slacker with this blog recently.  But hey, I'm a busy lady.  Last month was Morty's 3rd birthday, and we had a big mustache party with all his playgroup friends, Early Intervention therapists, and nannys (past and present).  I contemplated what to order for food (there was no way I was making all the food & planning the rest of the party) & asked a lot of people whether they would like burritos or sandwiches.  The overwhelming response was burritos!  Which is good, because that's what I wanted too.  We just weren't sure whether a bunch of 2 & 3 year olds could handle them - we have no way to gauge since our little 3 year old doesn't eat a whole lot by mouth.  But it was a total success - typical 2 and 3 year olds can definitely handle burritos.

Happy Birthday to my little dude!



Table
We ordered them from Boloco and got a bunch of the "mini" size - which were just right because the dads could have 3 if they wanted to eat a lot, and the little ones were satisfied with 1.  I also made some fresh salsa and served it with store bought chips (some salsa ended up in the blenderized mix, but the chips did not).

For cake, I made this great mustache cake out of a Betty Crocker cake mix with directions from this site.  I also made a batch of cupcakes with a second box of cake mix.  I'm not afraid to admit I used a box mix.  My palette is not refined enough to actually tell the difference.  And, of course, I'm short on time.  I did, however, make the frosting - I can definitely tell the difference with the stuff that comes out of a store bought tub.  I used the Cake Boss's recipe.  Just a hint - that "fancy" swirl of frosting on the top of the cupcake was WAY easier to do than frosting them with a knife.  I just used a ziplock bag with a hole cut in the bottom corner.



Tube
I'm not going to lie - I am totally guessing at the volume that this recipe made - I forgot to check.  But my Blendtec doesn't hold much more than 40 oz and still mix, so I think that's about right.  But as is often the case with restaurant food, the calorie content of this mix ended up being super high!  I think it's the highest that I've made.  That's probably pretty normal for a birthday meal, though.  If you wanted to cut the calories down, you could just omit the 3T of oil, and that would bring it back to 1.3 cal/cc.

I added the basics to this recipe, including green beans and fruit to build up the nutrition content.  I also put in a cupcake - because every birthday boy needs a cupcake - even if it goes through a tube!

Here's the blenderized diet recipe:


Whole Milk 1 cup
flavored Kefir - 1% milkfat 1/2 cup
apple juice 1/2 cup
"mini" size Boloco classic burritos 2
salsa, fresh 2 T
green beans 1 cup
banana 1/2 small
diced peaches with juice 4 oz cup
Red Velvet cupcake 1 cupcake
cream cheese frosting
Canola Oil 3 T
Children's Multivitamin 1/2 tablet
calcium chews supplement 1/2 chew
Volume (oz) 42
Cal/oz 48.3
Cal/cc 1.6
% Fat 26%
% Carbohydrates 57%
% Protein 16%

4 comments:

  1. (not sure if my previous comment posted?!)
    Hi Tiffany!
    Love your blog-- a few questions for you. We are considering starting our son on a blenderized diet-- he currently gets all Pediasure through his g-button. How do you typically give the above recipe to your son? Is it all at one time, or are you giving this throughout the day?
    Also, does your dietian help you with the cal/oz and cal/cc or have you just gotten really good at figuring it out?
    Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stibbefam -
    Thanks! Typically on weekends & vacation days, I give my son 4 bolus feeds of 8 oz each, 3 to 4 hours apart. On the days that he goes to school it's a little different to fit into the schedule they worked out for him.
    10:30 - 3 oz + 1 oz water
    12:30 - 7 oz + 1 oz water
    2:30 - 3 oz + 1 oz water
    4:00 - 8 oz + 1 oz water
    7:30 - 8 oz + 1 oz water

    I actually calculate the cal/oz and cal/cc myself by adding up the nutritional content of each of the ingredients. I really only get that specific for the blog entries. Most days I just kind of work off of a basic recipe so I know about what the calories will be. I do check in with the dietitian on that basic recipe, and she does her own calculations, which end up correlating well to mine.

    Good luck to you and I hope you come back often! I HIGHLY recommend the blended diet! It's real food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiffany, I love love love your blog. I just started a bd for our daughter this week. We are starting with baby food and oil with her formula till my vitamix gets here. We have to do high calorie low volume because she was fed 75 ml/hr for 9 hours till we get her up to 6oz. Anyway---The way you feed your child is the way I believe it should be done. I am so glad I found your blog now I have an idea of what I should be doing (hopefully) with our daughter.

    Thank you, Jimmie and cambria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jimmie and Cambria! I'm so glad you found this blog! Baby food and oil is an excellent way to start a blended diet - that's what I started with too. (Heaven knows we had plenty of it around since I kept trying everything to find something Morty might like to eat.) Come back and ask any questions you might come across, and hopefully I can help.

      Delete