Monday, October 29, 2012

Fish Tacos



I've already admitted to loving Mexican food and being obsessed about cilantro, so it really shouldn't be that big of a surprise that when I decided to do another fish-based blend, I couldn't stop thinking about fish tacos!  I've made fish tacos before, but never quite been happy with the sauce, so this time I found one on Pinterest with a delicious sounding cilantro & lime sauce.

Table
It's a simplified version of this recipe from Our Best Bites.  I don't really have the time or inclination to do my own deep frying, so I just bought fish nuggets.  Yes, that's right... I bought fish nuggets.  But they were pretty good - and I bought them from Trader Joes - that makes them more healthy, right?  Well, either way, it was a lot easier than battering and frying.

Similarly, I also don't deep fry my shells.  Definitely not for everyday dinners.  I like just plain flour tortillas that are a little bit warmed up.

I bought cole slaw mix and fresh salsa from the produce section to also simplify things.  And because I live in New England, where the Latino population is typically not Mexican, there is no Cotija or Queso Fresco at my grocery store.  Instead I just used crumbled goat cheese - pre-crumbled, of course.  I gotta make things a little easy on myself, you know?

The real key to this recipe is the super duper delicious sauce - Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing.  Yes, cilantro and lime is a match made in heaven, and this sauce does not disappoint.  And it was definitely easy to make - I actually used my Blendtec to blend this up.  I love, love, love it.  It definitely made the fish tacos delicious, and you better believe I'll be doing these fish tacos again - if only so I can taste the dressing another time.


Tube
First, a note on blending: I've slightly altered my blending technique based on some comments I've read from other people that blend.  We've had some really foamy blends - which translates into extra air in my son's tummy, and he often has a tough time managing his burping anyway.  So I've started blending everything but the milk and kefir on #4 - that's the Blendtec button for "Whole Juice".  I do the whole juice cycle twice, and then add the milk and kefir and pulse it 3 or 4 times.  It has really helped make it a lot less foamy.  And in turn, my blends have come out a little more calorie dense - which is a good thing.

After making the dinner, this is a pretty quick blend.  It's basically 2 fully filled tacos plus a couple of extra tortilla shells.  Then I also added some fruit to the blend - today it was bananas and berries.

Here's the blenderized g-tube recipe:

Whole Milk 1 cup
flavored Kefir - 1% milkfat 1/2 cup
orange juice 1/2 cup
tortillas - small flour 4
battered fish nuggets (TJ's) 4 pc (4 oz)
coleslaw mix 1 cup
salsa, fresh 2 T
cilantro-lime dressing 2 T
crumbled goat cheese 2T
banana 1/2 small
mixed frozen berries 3/4 cup
corn oil 2 T
Children's Multivitamin 1/2 tablet
calcium chews supplement 1/2 chew
Volume (oz) 34
Cal/oz 37.4
Cal/cc 1.2
% Fat 22%
% Carbohydrates 61%
% Protein 17%

No comments:

Post a Comment