Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bland Blend for Stomach Flu Vomitorium

Morty caught a nasty stomach flu virus.  It started out with a little extra vomiting (he vomits a lot anyway - about once a day lately), a temperature, and some general grumpiness.  By day 3 and 4, the temperature was down, but the vomiting had gone out of control - as in every time I tried to put anything in his tube - even just an ounce or two.  Sometimes when a non verbal little one gets sick, it's hard to figure things out.  And when they're tube fed, it can be hard to know how you should make adjustments.  When I thought about it, when most people get sick, they often eat very little because their stomach hurts.  But when you're plunging food right into someone else's stomach, disaster can happen... and what is just vomiting for some kids, can be a violent mess for a tube fed, mostly non-verbal spastic quadriplegic kid.

Table
So after 2 days of keeping absolutely nothing down, we decided we needed to get him hydrated.  I followed the directions on giving water from this site.  Here's another good one (I tend to trust the hospital websites on this type of thing more than message boards...)  By the way, "vomitorium" comes from that article - it's quite fitting.  When we started adding back in some solids, I mixed 1 oz blend with 3 oz water every 30 minutes.  The recommendation is to start with bland foods - rice, bananas, dry toast, etc.  For this post, we'll call that "Table".

Tube
So for the mix, bland food is what I made up for his blend.  The first blend was basically rice, pears, and some juice.  When that worked for a day, I made up this blend.


It's quite different from my basic recipe in that there's no fats, so I was surprised when I worked out the numbers and found that it was pretty close to my goal calorie content.


Bland Post Stomach Flu Blend
Grape Juice 1 cup
banana 1 medium
white rice 2 cup
canned sliced peaches (with juice) 15 oz can
eggs, scrambled 2 eggs
Children's Multivitamin 1/2 tablet
Volume (oz) 40
Cal/oz 26.7
Cal/cc 0.9
% Fat 6%
% Carbohydrates 84%
% Protein 11%

No comments:

Post a Comment