Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mediterranean Stuffed Zucchini


Morty got his tube changed out this past week.  He is now a proud owner of the Mic Key button.  We have been waiting for this for a long time and we are so happy to finally have it.  It's taking a bit of getting used to... just to get into the new routine of filling the syringe/tube and administering.  It's just a slightly new system.   At the hospital, my husband requested that they give my son the same size Mic Key as the PEG tube.  Apparently they didn't listen to him, and we're now running a size smaller - 14 french now vs the previous 16 french.  We'll see if that has much of an effect.  I am blending the mix a little longer to make sure everything is smooth.

Table
Summer brings zucchini, and this week we bought a bunch of it at the farmer's market to make this stuffed zucchini dish.  Compared to a lot of stuffed recipes (stuffed cabbage, stuffed peppers, etc), this one is not tomato sauce based, so it's a little dry.  But it still has a variety of flavors with the cheese and pine nuts and sun-dried tomatoes , so it's pretty good.

Tube
After I made the zucchini, my husband and I ate a serving each, and I just put the other 2 servings in the blenderized g-tube version.  It included zucchini stuffed with the sausage, asiago cheese, pine nuts, sundried tomatoes, and scallion mixture.  I also actually threw in some of the zucchini that was hollowed out - seemed a waste to throw it out.   I added some cooked bulgur wheat for grains.  Side note: my dad used to make a cracked wheat breakfast cereal when I was growing up, that he called simply "mush".  It pretty much looks the same as cooked bulgur.

Here's the blenderized g-tube recipe:

Whole Milk 1 cup
flavored Kefir - 1% milkfat 1/2 cup
orange juice 1/2 cup
bulgur wheat 1/4 cup dry, cooked
stuffed zucchini (1/4 lb sausage) 2 serving
Sunflower Seed Oil 2 T
Dole cherry mixed fruit cup 1 container
Children's Multivitamin 1/2 tablet
calcium chews supplement 1/2 chew
Volume (oz) 40
Cal/oz 31.3
Cal/cc 1.0
% Fat 33%
% Carbohydrates 50%
% Protein 17%

No comments:

Post a Comment